“Soft kitty,Warm Kitty..
Little ball of fur…
Happy kitty,sleepy kitty
Purrr Purrr Purrrrr…”
Sure enough “Warm Kitty” is a children’s song, popularized by the characters Sheldon and Penny in the American sitcom ‘The Big Bang Theory’ where it is rendered as “Soft Kitty”.
Well,the reason I included this in my blog-post is not because I love kitties or this post is about kitties,instead don’t you feel these lines relate so adorably with a new-born kid?
Don’t they look like a soft ball ( of not fur but soft skin). They are warm and soft and everything, a small kitty look like.
But indeed with time,it is not necessary that a baby’s skin remains like the same before. The softness starts fading and before it fade completely,it is needed for us to take some important steps to keep that softness safe.
A variety of skin conditions can occur in babies and some skin care products may help, while others may make things worse.
So here is some knowledge and information which I have had in mind regarding this and I thought of sharing it:
Common Skin Conditions in Babies
Since babies have skin that is so sensitive, they often develop different skin conditions. You may not know what these conditions are or how to treat them. Here is a look at some of the common skin conditions in babies and some tips on how to deal with these conditions.
– Baby Acne – One common skin condition babies often develop is baby acne. This usually looks like little pink spots on their skin, usually on their face. Because of the hormones from their mother, often the acne occurs but will probably go away without any special care.
– Chafing – Sometimes chafing can occur when there is friction between skin and clothing or where skin rubs together. Avoid tight clothing to prevent this problem and put on cornstarch baby powder to help keep chafing from occurring.
– Heat Rash – You may notice some small pink spots all over the body of your baby. A lot of humidity and heat can cause this. Keep your baby in loose clothing and avoid keeping them in areas that are too warm to help with this problem.
– Eczema – Symptoms of eczema include skin that is scaly, irritated, and red. You need to keep skin clean and dry, and you’ll probably want to discuss this with your pediatrician. Babies with eczema usually need to use products that are designed for sensitive skin.
– Cradle Cap – This skin problem includes patches that are very crusty on your baby’s scalp. Glands that are overactive can cause this. To treat the problem, apply a bit of baby oil to soften it. Then shampoo the hair and use a comb or baby brush to gently remove the cradle cap.
1. Common Skin Care Products for Babies – What You Should Know
There are a variety of skin care products out there for babies. Before you use them, you may want to learn a bit more about them. Here is a closer look at the common products you’ll find for babies.
– Baby Bubble Bath – Bubble baths for babies may not be the best choice. They often have detergents in them that eliminate bacteria that is beneficial to the body. They can also cause urinary and vaginitis infections in babies. If you want to scent the baby bath, a bit of essential oil, like lavender oil, is a better choice.
– Baby Soaps – Usually water will be enough when bathing your baby. If you think a bit of soap is needed, make sure the soap is mild. Look for soaps with natural ingredients like coconut, olive oil, or some palm oil. Use a lotion or oil to help replenish the moisture in your baby’s skin.
– Baby Shampoos – If your baby only has thin hair, you may not need a shampoo. If you do decide to shampoo your baby’s hair, look for a shampoo that is very mild. Avoid any shampoos that have triethanolamine or diethanolamine in them. Other ingredients to watch out for include parabens, artificial color, and artificial fragrances.
– Baby Powder – Of course, baby powder is a popular product, but some powders may not be the best for your babies skin. Beware of powders that have talc in them. Usually a powder that has a cornstarch base is the best option. The only places to use this powder include the genital areas, in creases around the neck, or under your babies arms.
– Baby Oils and Lotions – Oils and lotions can help replenish moisture in your baby’s skin and can help relieve problems with irritation. However, you need to make sure you don’t use an oil that aggravates any skin problems. Look for oils and lotions made with herbal ingredients and avoid those that have mineral oil in them.
Other Important Baby Skin Care Tips
Now that you know a bit about baby skin care issues and common baby skin care products, there are a few other tips you may need to remember. Keep these tip sin mind as you care for your baby’s skin.
2- You Don’t Have to Bathe Your Baby Daily
One important baby skin care tip to remember is that you don’t have to bathe your baby daily. Newborns especially have delicate skin and a full bath each day may be too drying. A little sponge bath can do the trick in between baths.
3- Clean and Dry All Baby Skin Folds
You really need to ensure that you clean and dry all baby skin folds. Those folds, such as behind the ears and in the creases of the neck can dry out or they can retain moisture and cause skin problems.
4-Watch Out for Diaper Rash
Whenever you change your baby’s diaper, make sure you keep an eye out for diaper rash. If you notice a rash at all, make sure you carefully clean the bottom and then use baby powder to try to eliminate the problem.
It is also important to know about the quality diapers,which you should use for your baby. For example- Pampers.
Pampers brings you the softest ever Pampers Premium Care Pants. Its cotton-like softness is #SoftestForBabySkin and allows it to breathe, thus keeping baby’s skin soft and healthy, and your baby happy.
5- Be Careful When Choosing Clothing and Bedding
It’s also important for you to be careful when you choose clothing and bedding for your baby. Some materials may be harsh on your baby’s sensitive skin. Look for soft materials, such as cotton, that will be easy on their skin. Also be careful when washing your baby’s clothes and bedding. Never use harsh detergents, which could irritate their skin.
Keeping your baby’s skin soft and beautiful is important, but it is not always as easy as you think. Make sure you keep these tips in mind and use them to keep your baby’s skin healthy and safe.
P.s.- The images used, have been taken from google.